Skip to content

Applying for the CERB? You need a CRA My Account

March 31, 2020

If you intend to apply for the Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB), you must have a CRA My Account through CRA’s website. If you already have a CRA My Account, you will be able to access the CERB application process once your current EI claim expires, which will be available the week of April 6. EI will not be extended and you must apply for the CERB through CRA My Account.

There are two options to register for the CRA My Account. One is through using a CRA user ID and password and the other is through a sign-in partner (your online banking credentials). Both options will require the following information before you get started:

  • Your social insurance number;
  • Your date of birth;
  • Your current postal code; and
  • Amounts you entered on your last income tax and benefit return, so have your copy on hand as the questions may vary from person to person.

Once you complete your registration, you will have to wait for a code to be mailed to you to complete your registration. You can also call CRA to get this code sooner.

Please click here and read the registration instructions very carefully.

If you have issues or questions regarding registering for the CRA My Account, or do not have your last tax return on hand, please call 1 (800) 959-8281 for assistance.

To read a list of Frequently Asked Questions concerning COVID-19 and benefits, please click here.