The Fish, Food and Allied Workers Union (FFAW-Unifor) is accepting applications from qualified individuals for the full-time permanent position of Policy and Staff Officer.
The Policy and Staff Officer will be responsible for various aspects of FFAW-Unifor policy development, particularly with respect to resource management and allocation and fisheries and labour advocacy. The successful applicant will also be directly involved in the development of proposals to various agencies and governments on fishery-related matters for scientific, economic, and social purposes.
The Policy and Staff Officer will also serve as a point of contact for FFAW-Unifor members and shall respond to member inquiries and address member concerns. The ideal candidate should be comfortable with public speaking and be able to respond to members in an efficient and professional manner. A Policy and Staff Officer should demonstrate the ability to deal with a wide array of issues in a timely manner.
The Policy and Staff officer will work in a collaborative environment with the FFAW-Unifor science and policy staff, as well as with field staff. The President and Secretary-Treasurer of the FFAW-Unifor lead the organization and guide all staff.
The FFAW-Unifor is the largest private sector union in the province and supports the economic well-being of 12,000 members. As such, the workplace is fast-paced and can require long hours and some travel.
- Experience in the fishery and/or a very strong understanding of how the fishery is conducted and managed.
- Experience with proposal writing and successfully managing the proposal process.
- Strong public speaking and writing skills.
- A self-starter who takes initiative and can work under minimal supervision.
- Good problem solving skills.
- An ability to multi-task on a wide array of issues.
- An understanding of and support for the Union movement.
The FFAW offers a competitive salary and benefits package.
Please forward all applications:
ATTN: David Decker
P.O. Box 10, Station “C”
368 Hamilton Avenue, 2nd Floor
St. John’s, NL
Email: [email protected]
Fax: (709) 576-1962
Applications must be submitted on or before April 22, 2016. Only those candidates contacted for an interview will be notified.