COMMUNICATIONS OFFICER (1-YEAR MATERNITY LEAVE CONTRACT)
About the Position:
FFAW-Unifor is seeking a full-time Communications Officer to fill a 1-year maternity leave vacancy to support the Union’s membership and public communications efforts. Reporting to FFAW-Unifor management, the Communications Officer is responsible for coordinating the Union’s strategic communications plans to advance the political and organizational objectives of FFAW-Unifor and to build awareness and promote issues concerning FFAW-Unifor members.
The Communications Officer will be responsible for the Union’s proactive and reactive communications including drafting literature, press releases, and background documents. The Communications Officer will liaise with media and assist with organizing media events, press conferences and demonstrations and will also be responsible for documenting events and actions including taking photos and video and posting to social media accounts.
The successful candidate will begin in October 2020 or as soon as possible.
Qualified candidates must have:
- A bachelor or master’s degree in a relevant discipline such as Public Relations, Political Science, Communications, Journalism or equivalent, with a minimum of 3 years experience in a communications and/or public relations role;
- Experience working in labour union, social justice or non-profit environment would be an asset;
- Excellent writing and editing skills;
- The ability to provide sound strategic advice related to communications;
- Strong media contacts and the ability to make pitches and conduct earned media outreach;
- Experience writing speeches, letters to the editor and op-eds;
- Excellent social media skills on a variety of platforms;
- Familiarity with NationBuilder and Word Press platforms;
- Familiarity and some experience with In-Design, Adobe Suite and/or other graphic design software would be an asset;
- The ability to work independently and identify communications opportunities for the Union;
- A commitment to social justice, workers’ rights and the trade union movement.
As per staff collective agreement.
Monday, October 19, 2020 17:00 Newfoundland Time
FFAW-Unifor is committed to employment equity and is actively seeking to ensure a representative workforce. We encourage applications from equity seeking groups.
Please submit your cover letter and resume to:
Vanessa Morris, FFAW-Unifor
PO Box 10, Stn. C
St. John’s, NL, A1C 5H5
Or by email to: [email protected]