Insurance Information | FFAW-Unifor | Fish Food & Allied Workers Union

Insurance Information

CLICK HERE for the Life/Accidence Insurance Benefit Pamphlet for FFAW-Unifor members. 


Frequently Asked Questions

Q: How much does the insurance cost?

A: The insurance plan covers FFAW members who are in good standing. Members in good standing receive a union card that covers them from August 1 to July 31 of the next year. Being a member in good standing is based upon the payment of union dues from the previous year. Thus, union cards and Sunlife insurance coverage for August 1, 2017 to July 31, 2018 are based upon the payment of union dues for the 2016 calendar year.

Q: What do I have as proof of my coverage?

A: Your union card is proof of your insurance.  Your insurance coverage is only valid until July 31, 2018. After this date, if you have not paid your dues for the 2017 year you will not be covered.

Q: Am I covered only while working or fishing?

A: No. Coverage is for a period of one year, from August 1 to July 31 each year.

Q: What happens if I don’t identify a beneficiary?

A: If there is no beneficiary on file then this will be considered an “Estates Claim” and the family will have to provide a copy of the will or they will have to contact the Probate Office for a “Letter of Administration”.

Q: My circumstances have changed since I last sent in my beneficiary form (for example: married or divorced)

A:If this is the case, make sure you send in a new beneficiary form. The last beneficiary form on file will be the one used.

Q: Am I still covered once I retire, am no longer actively fishing, or am no longer employed with the company I currently work for?

A: No. The insurance is only for active, card-carrying members of the FFAW and does not cover members who are no longer active or no longer hold seniority status within the union.

Q: Is there an age limit?

A: Yes. Coverage discontinues when a member turns 70 years old. This is a requirement of the insurance company.

Q: Are prescriptions, hospital stays, therapy sessions, etc. covered?

A: No. This is strictly a life/accidental death/dismemberment insurance policy. There is a cash benefit payable for loss of limbs, loss of hearing, loss of sight, etc. due to accidents only.

For questions or to request a new beneficiary form, please contact Paula at 709-576-7276 or at

Sign Up For Our Newsletter

Sign up for Unifor Local’s monthly newsletter and stay up to date with information from around the union and industry.