Mental Health Resources | FFAW-Unifor | Fish Food & Allied Workers Union

Mental Health Resources

The effort to address COVID-19 is extremely important, and poses a range of challenges on individuals and families as they respond to the demands of the situation. The situation is stressful for everyone and it is normal to be anxious and worried. This page is designed to provide information for members and suggestions about how best to cope in this difficult time. It is not intended to be a resource for people who require screening for COVID-19 or are experiencing a mental health crisis.

If you are experiencing a mental health crisis, please contact 811 immediately or present to your nearest emergency department. For up-to-date information about Newfoundland and Labrador’s COVID-19 response, please visit the provincial government


211 NL – United Way

211 is a new information and referral service that launched October 2020. It is 100% free and confidential, and operates 24/7 in over 150 languages. All someone needs to do is dial 2-1-1 from any phone in the province and they will be connected to a professionally trained community navigator. Navigators ask questions and synthesize information for their callers to help them find the best resource available to them, in their local area. 211 NL operates a massive database of community, government, and social supports that enables navigators to find the nearest resource to almost any caller, form St. John’s to Nain.

Currently, 211 can refer to the following resources:

Food security support
Mental health and addictions services
Housing and homelessness supports
Senior services
Family resources
LGBTQ+ resources
COVID-19 relief programs
Job training
And much more!

Bridge the Gapp

Bridge the Gapp is a new way to connect with guidance and support for mental health and addictions in Newfoundland and Labrador.

The best thing about it is its accessibility. From a computer, tablet or a phone in your pocket, you can instantly access content that can provide advice, inspiration, assurance, or direction for finding additional supports when you need it the most.

Wellness Apps

Mental Health Crisis Line


CHANNAL Peer Support Warm Line


Mental Health and Addictions System Navigator



NL Transition Houses

Gander and Area

Local Crisis Line: 709 256 7707

Toll Free Crisis Line: 1-877-800-2272

Email: [email protected]

Corner Brook and Area

Local Crisis Line: 709-634-4198

Toll Free Crisis Line: 1-866-634-4198

Marystown and Area

Local Crisis Line: 279-3562

Toll Free Crisis Line: 1-877-774-4957

Email: [email protected]

St. John’s and Area

Local Crisis Line: 753-1492

Toll Free Crisis Line: 1-877-753-1492

Email: [email protected]

Carbonear and CBN Area

Local Crisis Line: 596-8709

Toll Free Crisis Line: 1-888-596-8709

Counselling Options

DoorWays is a single session, walk-in counselling service:

  • Available to youth and adults without an appointment or referral
  • A health care professional will meet with you and discuss your concerns on a first-come, first-serve basis.
  • DoorWays provides information and support focused on your need. Some examples of what you may want to discuss are: family, health, grief, work, relationships, stress, anxiety, depression, drinking or drug use.

DoorWays is not an emergency service. In an emergency, call 911 or the Mental Health Crisis Line at 1-888-737-4668, or proceed to the nearest emergency department.

To find DoorWays in your area call 811 and a Healthline nurse will provide you with a location near you.

Community Counsellors

Counsellors are available to support individuals who have mental health or substance use concerns as well as family/friends who are affected. If you are experiencing concerns related to any of the following:

  • Alcohol and Drugs
  • Anxiety and Stress
  • Mental Illness
  • Relationships
  • Smoking
  • Gender and Identity
  • Eating Disorders
  • Fear and Phobias
  • Grief and Loss
  • Depression
  • Parenting
  • Sexual, Physical and Emotional Abuse
  • Suicide
  • Anger
  • Family Issues
  • Gambling

Or any other not identified here.

To find a counsellor near you:  Service Directory, or call 811 and a Healthline nurse will provide you with a contact number.

Mental Health and Addictions Systems Navigator

Are you having difficulty navigating the system or connecting with a service? Our Navigator is a central point of contact for individuals, family members and stakeholders throughout the province to:

  • Problem solve so you can figure out next steps
  • Consider options and find the right mental health or addiction service
  • Get help in making connections

Call 752-3916 or 1-877-999-7589; VRS calls are welcome
Email: [email protected]


Warm Line 1-855-753-2560 or 753-2560

Need someone to talk to? The Warm Line offers non-emergency, non-crisis telephone support for people in the province who are living with mental health issues. CHANNAL’s trained peer supporters are non-judgemental and have firsthand knowledge; “We understand because we’ve been there”. The Warm Line is available between 11:00 am and 11:00 pm, 7 days a week.

Gambling Help Line 1-888-899-HELP (4357)

The Gambling Help Line is a free, confidential service available province-wide, 24 hours a day. If you or a family member has a gambling concern, please call for information and support.

Smokers’ Helpline 1-800-363-5864

The Smokers’ Helpline is a free, confidential service providing information, resources, support and motivational counselling while you are working toward being smoke free. Connect by phone, text, email or Live Chat. To get started, please call or go online at

Kids Help Phone 1-800-668-6868

Kids Help Phone is always there for you. No matter what you want to talk about, they’re available to listen. No judgment, totally private, 24/7

St. John’s Status of Women Counselling

Call in Counselling Tuesdays 12PM-7PM, Wednesdays 12PM-5PM: 753-0220

Canadian Association for Mental Health


Other online resources


BreathingRoom™ is a free online program, designed for youth and young adults who want to learn new ways to manage stress, depression or anxiety:

  • Give yourself a few minutes a day to relax and refresh while gaining practical strategies.
  • Videos, stories and activities offer ideas and tools to help you move forward.
  • The Breathing Room can be used by yourself or supported by an online coach, counsellor or teacher who checks in with you each week.

Click here to go to The BreathingRoom™: 

Strongest Families

Strongest Families Institute (SFI) is a not-for-profit agency designed to support children and youth from 3-17 years of age:

  • This program may be for you if you have concerns about your child’s behaviour difficulties, anxiety, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, bullying or bedwetting.
  • Support is provided to families over the phone and Internet in the comfort and privacy of your own home.
  • Families can be referred by a teacher, guidance counselor, physician, nurse, social worker, etc.

Canada’s Low-Risk Alcohol Drinking Guidelines

Did you know that Newfoundlanders and Labradorians consume the most alcohol per capita in Canada?
Find out about low-risk drinking at: (pdf, 2012) 

For more information: Canadian Centre on Substance Use and Addiction (CCSA)


Canada’s Lower-Risk Cannabis Guidelines  (1.3 MB)

Learn about the current status of cannabis (marijuana) laws in Canada, and the work being done to legalize and regulate it. The Government of Canada provides information at: .

I CAN (Conquer Anxiety and Nervousness) Adult program

The I CAN program supports young adults (18-30 years) in learning life skills to overcome anxiety and cope with major life stressors. The program offers distance telephone and online coaching, and is free to residents of Newfoundland and Labrador. The I CAN program is now open for registration. People can sign up by calling Strongest Families Institute directly at 1-866-470-7111 or by visiting 

Regional Health Authorities

Western Health:

Click on:
Email: [email protected]
Call: 709-634-4171

Labrador Grenfell Health:

Click on:
Call: 709-454-0521

Central Health:

Call: 709-489-8841

Eastern Health:

For Addiction information:
· In St. John’s – Email: [email protected] or Call (709) 752-4030.
· Other areas in Eastern Health – Email: [email protected] or Call 709-786-5230

For Mental Health information:

All areas in Eastern Health – Email: [email protected], or Call 709-752-6846


Sign Up For Our Newsletter

Sign up for Unifor Local’s monthly newsletter and stay up to date with information from around the union and industry.